Monday, March 22, 2010

Ethos - Greek food in Kips Bay

I have visited Ethos two times in the past four months, which is out of character for me. I tend to like trying new places often, but sometimes it's just best to go with what you know. Ethos is a traditional Greek restaurant in Kips Bay. However, it is no diner. This is Greek dining at it's finest.

The first time I visited to Ethos was for my 25th birthday party in November with eight of my nearest and dearest. I chose Ethos because of it's vegetarian friendly options, reasonable prices, and willingness to accommodate nine people on less than two weeks notice (my bad). The second time I dined at Ethos I went with just my boyfriend for a date night.

There is no bar at Ethos so diners who are waiting for a table have to wait outside or get really friendly near the door. Luckily, the host seated the first to arrive from my party, which wasn't even me. Our table quickly filled up as did the rest of the restaurant. There is not a lot of space to move around in Ethos, so once you are sitting, I suggest staying seated. Favorite dishes from the many ordered were the appetizer plate of olives, the tsaziki sauce, and the fried calamari. We also enjoyed the eggplant dish, lamb kebab, and grilled jumbo shrimp. They also have fresh whole fish to chose from and an assortment of Greek wines and beers. Dessert is always on the house (or at least it was for me) and is a delicious Greek pastry filled with creamy goodness. It is even possible to escape from Ethos on a Saturday night after an hour and a half having spent much less than what you would at comparable Turquoise on the UES.

The great thing about going to Ethos is I know I will be greeted by friendly waiters and served delicious food. I definitely want to visit during the warmer months as they have two garage doors facing the street that I have a feeling will be open to let the cool evening breezes flow through the restaurant, making it feel even more like an escape to Greece (which I someday hope to actually do).

2 comments:

  1. sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Greek food...we have yet to try any of the Greek restaurants here but I've heard good things about a couple of them. The last time I had Greek was in Providence last summer and it was passable...but I'm looking for something better than that ;o)

    ReplyDelete