Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Mid-Week Girl's Date - CiaoBella

Mid-week is a great time to go to restaurants in NYC. There are plenty of tables available and the setting is more serene and less bustly, and you can still get the same great food likely with more attentive service.

Tuesday night I went with a girl friend of mine who I haven't hung out with one on one in a while to a CiaoBella, a delicious Italian restaurant on the corner of 2nd Avenue and 85th Street. I ambled past this restaurant on a prvious Friday night and noticed every seat on the patio and in the dining room was filled and every table covered in yummy looking food. On Tuesday, there were only 4 other tables occupied at 9:30pm when we dined.

The main dining room has a very luxurious feel with crystal chandeliers adorning the ceilng and burgundy walls with mohogany wood accents. Each table is meticulously set with white tablecloths, which always makes for an elegant looking restaurant. European lounge music played quietly ensuring there was no empty silence in the dining room. The service was so eager (probably due to the lack of patrons) that we had three separate servers ask us for our drink order all in a period of 5 minutes. At least we know the servers won't let customers go thirsty or hungry.

On to the food! The bread and sun dried tomato "pesto" that comes with dinner is divine. We enjoyed it so much we asked for a second basket! Our arugula salad with carmelized walnuts and apples almost made us fall out of our chairs. I've had this salad before, but never quite this perfect, every flavor bounced off the other like an echo. I realized that I probably should have ordered my own instaed of splitting, even though there was plenty for each of us with just the one order. We each ordered our own pasta, the papardalle with veal and mushrooms and the goat cheese and spinach ravioli. Both were flavorful and rich without being heavy, which is always a plus. I can't wait to try more of their pasta dishes, especially the seasonal special lobster ravioli.

Let's talk price. I found CiaoBella to be very reasonable. The wines by the glass ranged from $10-$15 (there was also an extensive wine list which I failed to read) while the salad and antipasta topped out at a reasonable $17 for larger sharable plates. The normal size portioned pasta plates ranged from $14-$21. The entrees ranged from $21-$28 and consisted of various fish and meats. I will definitely be going to CiaoBella again on a weekend, with a reservation to ensure that I get a table. On busy nights, they open the upstairs dining room and balcony in addition to the patio and main dining room.

I heard through the grapevine, not from the restaurant directly, that CiaoBella makes their own gelato which I'm sure is heavenly, but I was so full from the pasta and copious amounts of bread, that I unfortunately did not get to try it this time. Next time for sure, because there definitely will be a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment